About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Bible

I'm not referring to the book, but the new TV series. I was very skeptical due to the poor quality of other bible-ish things created for the TV viewer. I've had several people ask my thoughts on it. So I will give my thoughts but please keep in mind. 1.I am no theologian. 2. My opinion doesn't really matter.

If we're all clear... then here are my thoughts:
I think the series is well done. The creativity and design aspect is phenomenal. However, I am not fond of the inaccuracies. If one of the most successful producers is going to produce a hit why not make it accurate if we are basing it on a true story? Simple things such as the people having scottish accents...?...  which I found very interesting. Scripture also specifically says Moses held his hands up for the red sea to part... in the series he stabbed his stick in the water. Also, the Israelites  passed through the red sea on dry land not by getting pelted with water. Minor, but inaccurate. Samson was not an African American and Delilah was not the one to offer him a drink. Based on the series you would have thought he had a single mother. Scripture is very clear he had a father and a brother, yet they are no where to be found. It was his father and brother who went to him after he died not his mother. These are very minor things, but still why not get them right? D compared it to a bad commentary. Good, but not great on accuracy.

I know it seems I'm being harsh but overall I really have enjoyed the series. I love that it challenges me to go into scripture and find out for myself if its accurate or not. I literally watch it with my bible in hand and verify. I love that it has challenged my knowledge and lack there of. It has made me want to study scripture more so I can clearly point out inaccuracies or false teaching when I see it or hear it. Though this series is not perfect, it is getting great ratings and people who would normally not read their bibles or attend church are watching and anticipating the next episode. This series is showing everyone the bible is not dull or boring but exciting and relevant.

So though its not perfect, it is doing great things and for that I am grateful. We have not even seen the last couple of episodes. They are still on the DVR so unless they are completely off base, my opinion stands though not completely accurate I am a fan of this series. And I am very thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment