About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Monday, February 2, 2015

The evil monster that is discontentment

As I sit here on my couch listening to the hum of the washing machine and the quietness that is morning nap time, I find myself many times fighting the monster that is discontentment. The mundaneness of chores and schedules of having little ones can be enough to make you lose your mind. On top of that I've been taking care of sick boys for a week now and left the house very few times... that alone makes my monster even bigger. 

The monster of discontentment is a sneaky little thing. God is using Priscilla Shirer's book, The Resolution fo Women, to remind me how that monster of discontentment is robbing me of precious time. Priscilla says, "Instead of relishing each moment, each year, each opportunity, each step of the journey, I'm constantly overeager to get to the next thing, which always looks more enticing than whats currently before me. I'm rarely satisfied in full with my present station." 

That cut like a dagger. That was me! I didn't even realize it but it was/is how I have been living this journey of motherhood. Ready for them to sleep through the night. Ready for them to self feed. Ready for them to crawl. Ready for them to talk. Ready for them to walk. It's so easy to find the things we don't like about each season of our lives, but God is showing me how fleeting these moments are and how they must be cherished. "Only for the coming year would my husband be exactly like this. Only for these fleeting moments would my children talk, look and act exactly like this. And if I chose to hurry through them in an attempt to avoid the parts I didn't like, I'd simultaneously miss all the things I did like about this season."

Mommas lets not the the monster of discontentment rob us and our families of joy and precious time together. May we embrace every mountain top and valley, every challenging and easy season, every sick day and every healthy one. Let's choose contentment in all circumstances. Resist the urge to hurry through your season. Enjoy and be content now.

No comments:

Post a Comment