About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Busyness

I am an extrovert so I love people. I love going and doing. I have always loved being busy. Most of our married life on most nights we have had something going on. And we have loved every minute.  I've always known that our lives would have to slow down once kids came along. So we took advantage of being able to be out most nights and then cherished even more our free nights at home because they were rare. Busyness just happened. Sports, church events, family/friend gatherings.... by no means has our busyness been bad things. We have loved all of it, but it's kept us busy.

Now that the babies are here, we still have busy weeks. We still play sports. We still attend and lead church events. And we still participate in family and friend gatherings. However, God has been greatly working in my life in the area of "busyness." 

I remember Dr. Roger saying, "If the devil can't make you bad, He'll make you busy." Busyness can be a bad thing. When we are too busy to take the time to invest in people, to maintain our homes and other important responsibilities, and of course when our relationship with the Lord is suffering even if we are doing "His work..." busyness has become bad.

The other day I blogged about some things that God had used from a study I was doing to challenge me. I have not been able to get this one out of my mind:

"We so easily get caught in the captivity of activity. God never meant for us to live frenzied lives. We should find rest in His will and do those things well."

God has given me a specific purpose in this season of life. He has made clear my current responsibilities. If I neglect these things because I say yes to lots of other good things... even church things... then I am allowing busyness to rule my life. 

I have learned its ok to say No. Though its not easy for my people pleasing self, I am learning there is peace, joy and contentment in resting and doing only those things God has called me to. By saying no to other things, I am able to give myself fully to the things that are important instead of giving half an effort and doing a mediocre job.

I am still very much learning this lesson. So together let's not allow busyness to rule our lives. Let's rest in the freedom of doing what God has called us to and let's do those things well.

No comments:

Post a Comment