About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Breastfeeding Controversy

I have nothing against breastfeeding. I plan on breastfeeding. Several people that I know though have shared stories on FB or have been very vocal about their opinions on it. So I thought since I have this blog and it has become a scrapbook of sorts for us that I'd share my opinion on here. This blog is only for those who choose to read my thoughts anyway so its not like I'm throwing my opinions on people who don't care like many do on FB. I realize that every woman is different and has their own opinion and conviction about what is right or wrong regarding this subject though.

Here's my opinion... I am for breastfeeding, but I am not for whipping out your boob in public for all to see. They make hooter hiders for a reason. For which I say, if you need to breast feed in public, pull out that hooter hider and feed away. (which to me still seems a little weird right now!) I realize this is a natural thing. God created our bodies to do such things, but I also believe their needs to be a level of modesty involved. Birthing your baby is also natural but you don't choose to lay down in the mall and push your kid out there for all to see.

Maybe I'm being naive because my babies aren't here yet and I haven't lived this, but I have watched several men in my life become very uncomfortable when we happen to be out and there's a woman breastfeeding without a hooter hider. Most of us would agree that we wouldn't walk around with our boobs exposed so why does it all of a sudden become acceptable to some if there's a baby attached?

Again, I realize there are a lot of opinions out there. This just happens to be mine as I've begun to think about my life as a new mom and decisions that come with that territory. Am I being naive? Am I being unreasonable? Do you agree? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I also HATE the argument that we "allow" half naked women on the cover of magazines and such. I don't support that in any way shape or form and I don't see how that applies to this at all. I'm a very modest person though and have no desire to expose myself for the sake of feeding my baby like you said that's why they make covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about modesty but when it came down to modesty vs. feeding my starving child, I would feed my babe. BUT... I always carried my hooter hider (at first until I got the hang of just draping a blanket) or tried to find a fitting room/sitting area in the women's bathroom (at malls) or if it came down to it I would just go back out to the car. I wanted to burn that hooter hider. Not because I wanted to be immodest but it was hot, Archie didn't want it on him and I couldn't see as well and that is key when you are first starting out. I have totally breastfed in public but use a blanket but when those babes start to flailing those arms, you realize that someone might see a little more skin than you are comfortable with and you get over it because there is a baby bird mouth squawking at you and you'll do anything to satisfy it. Pursue modesty at all costs but don't be surprised if your hard and fast stance on it changes slightly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren I definitely agree with where you're coming from. And any draping is sufficient. I understand too that as the babies get older they will get squirmy and there's only so much that you can do. For mom's like this I'm not condemning by any means. The problem that I have is with the moms who are very in your face about how its their right to breastfeed in public and they'll choose to to it anyway they please. If that's how they feel then that's their opinion and clearly I'm not going to change their minds. However I would ask that they be considerate and think of those who may not be comfortable with their exposed boob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candie, totally agree with you! I was just warning you to not be surprised if one of those twinsies rips the cover off of you one day! Ha. Those babes, they'll pull one over on you before you can blink sometimes.

      I think this was a great post and I totally think there is a middle ground here. I hate that society scorns breastfeeding and I hate that people push back with the total opposite approach (whip it out there for the world to see) because they are wanting to prove a point. But I will say this, now that I'm a mom when I see a woman breastfeeding very publicly, it doesn't phase me as much. Usually because even if they don't have a blanket covering, they are pretty much covered anyway with their shirt and I just get it now. And that also might be from Chad and I living in a little more of a "granola/hippie" city. :-) There's a balance in everything.

      Delete
  4. Candace, you aren't being naive or unreasonable. I think the Bible calls for us to be modest. Unfortunately, even nursing can be a cause of "making a brother stumble." For that reason alone, I am for hooter hiders (or doing it in the vehicle). However, when the baby is hungry and you've forgotten the hooter hider, you do it as discreetly as possible and move on (quickly) with life.

    As an aside, I once had a WOMAN (who was a mother) inform me that I needed to do that on a public restroom toilet. Ummm, WHAT?? Would YOU eat on a public restroom toilet? No.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you Candace....

    ReplyDelete