About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Sunday, June 24, 2012

10k

My goal was to run a half marathon this spring. With a stress fracture in my foot and a hurt hip that lingered forever.... my half marathon training had to be postponed. When I heard about a 10k that was basically in my backyard this summer, I was most def interested. I knew I could run 6 miles but I was unsure I could run 6 miles in the heat and over the hills that made up this course.

As race day approached I began to get really excited because I knew I was prepared. Unfortunately, my running buddy got pneumonia and then I got the stomach bug the week of the race! As you can imagine my confidence was slipping at my abilities to run 6 miles under these conditions: heat, hills, no running partner, and no strength.

Thankfully my strength returned enough where I was determined to run no matter what my time was. I also had a friend text me and say that she saw my name on the race list and was signing up to run too. So now I had a running buddy and the determination to complete this race.

Yesterday was the day. I'll be honest... I was nervous. I had no idea how my body would respond... how much stamina I would have. The race was at 8:00am so the heat wasn't too bad and a lot of the race was shaded. Also, the people in the neighborhood had sprinklers pointed at the road so we ran through every single one which helped a ton. Mile 4 I was feeling it, but I knew I was more than half way done and dead gum it I was going to finish and finish strong.

I was hoping to finish at an hour or under but ended up finishing at an hour and 6 minutes... but I finished... and had a blast.


3 comments:

  1. awesome... I've told myself I'm gonna shoot for a 1/2 marathon in the fall. I'm in week four of training. I'm learning that running is tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you asked me a while back about a training plan. I haven't really used one. I tend to run 3-5 miles 2-3 times a week and then do long runs on Saturday adding another mile or 2 to my last long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you, Candace!!!! I cannot tell you how sad I am that I couldn't run with you, but look forward to our future races!!! :)

    ReplyDelete