About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Monday, January 6, 2014

Due date and 3 weeks old

Today is our official due date. It's crazy to think that preterm labor started at 25 weeks yet we made it to 37 and have 2 healthy boys to show for it. Though we wanted the boys to stay in as long as possible, I'm sure glad they came out when they did and didn't wait until today. I mean can you imagine how large I would have been?! 

These have been the most amazing, fufilling 3 weeks of my life yet at the same time some of the most exhausting. I looked at d one night during our 2:00am-ish feeding and told him the best way to describe the new baby(ies) exhaustion is like a lock-in. You're good while you're busy and the adrenaline is flowing but pretty soon the lack of sleep catches up to you.

So let me fill you in on our life lately...

Feedings: This is what takes up most of our day. Due to their low weight, their dr. has had us feeding them every 2 hours during the day and every 3 or so hours at night. And bc they are so small they sleep all the time... which on one hand is great but when you have to work to wake them up to eat... especially in the middle of the night when you're exhausted and want to sleep... it becomes a not so great thing.
I started out attempting to nurse them. Jude latched pretty consistently. Luke did not. In fact poor guy would get so frustrated he wouldn't eat at all. I ended up pumping and bottle feeding them with my milk so both boys would get breast milk and d or others could help with the feeding process. We also supplement with formula per dr.'s orders to help fatten them up. Though this schedule is not the most convenient, its working. Our boys gained 9 oz and 12 oz in 4 days!

Diaper changing: Seriously my boys eat, sleep and poop... and then poop some more. Due to all the pooping we change a ton of diapers a day. So when I say I was thrilled to receive diapers for Christmas I'm not kidding. 
A fun fact we've discovered while diapering boys is the fountain of pee that entertains us if we're not careful. I've yet to be peed on... d unfortunately can not say the same thing. What I've experienced is far worse... instead of peeing on me they've peed on their own face. Thats right... not their belly/outfit but their face. Mom of the year award goes to me.

Sleeping: The boys sleep all the time. Though we aren't getting a full nights sleep we can't really complain because for the most part they sleep longer stretches than we expected. They of course can be fussy when they have gas or are fixing to spew everywhere, but are overall really good babies... so far.

Each week we see their eyes more and more frequently. If we're lucky not only do we catch them with their eyes open but we catch some sweet gassy grins as well.












3 comments:

  1. So sweet! Great job new mommy! Eating lots of oatmeal (you can of course eat oatmeal cookies/muffins, etc), avocados, and drinking tons of water helped my milk supply. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candace! My name is Sarah and I am currently 27almost 28 weeks pregnant with fraternal twin boys. I am on bed rest due to a shortened cervix. Your blog has been so inspirational to me. I am a Christian as well. My hubby and I were high school sweethearts. We have a 2 1/2 year old little boy and we will soon have 3 boys under the age of 3. So happy for you and your new family of 4! Your boys are adorable... blessings to you all. I have a blog as well www.richandsarahchristensen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute but I need to see WAY more pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete