About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Thursday, August 23, 2012

My running story

I don't know that I have ever shared my story on how I began running. Really one bone chilling statement sums it up.

I was fat.

Growing up I always felt very average weight wise. I def had pudgy phases, but overall average. I was never in love with my figure, but it worked for me. When I started college the weight gaining started... not a whole lot but a little at a time. Before I knew it, d and I were engaged and I was looking at numbers close to 160 on my scale.

I didn't feel fat, but I was definitely chunkier for my build than necessary. With a ring on my finger and a wedding day approaching I knew I wanted to lose weight.

Enter the L.G.N. diet. (look good naked) I "tried" working out... tried isn't really accurate when my couch is more fun than the elliptical. I tried watching what I ate... yea right. I like food way too much. Then I heard about a magical pill called phentrimine.

It was the greatest thing every invented. I paid $25 to cordova medical clinic and then $14 for the pills. I dropped 30lbs starting in November and then got married in May. I was the smallest I had ever been. I could eat what I wanted, not exercise, and the pounds still melted away! I had more energy then ever in my life! It was fantastic. And I even wore a bikini on my honeymoon!


But like you know once you get married you can pretty much guarantee weight gain. I had stopped taking the pills and little by little the weight came back. 3 years of wedded bliss began to really show on my butt. I was uncomfortable, my clothes didn't fit right... it was time to make a change. I didn't want to do the pills again b/c the price went way up, they gave me so much energy my heart was racing all the time, and I wanted to do something healthy and active.


 A fiend of mine was looking to lose weight too so she said let's do the couch potato to 5k training. I seriously laughed at her and proclaimed, "I am not a runner." But b/c I wanted to lose weight and this training program seemed easy, I thought I'd give it a try.

Easy my foot! The first part is run for 1 minute- walk 2 minutes. I couldn't even run 1 minute! I thought I was going to die! My friend, Stephanie, continued to encourage me and before I knew it I was running in my first 5k: Bellevue's Hope for Haiti. The first 2 miles were no problem. I really began to feel it on the last one... and wasn't sure I could finish it running but I was determined. I was quoting ever scripture I could think of... yes I was so desperate even "Jesus wept"came out! When I crossed that finish line, that was one of the most rewarding, satisfying feelings ever. I worked hard for this goal and completed it. I didn't quit. I did it.

 That's when my love for running began.

My friend Stephanie moved to olive branch so we weren't able to run anymore together, but she def gets credit for pushing me out of my comfort zone and introducing me to this sport I love so much.  I found other friends (mainly Allie these days) who enjoyed running also. Last fall I was running with my friend, Amanda. She was training for the St. Jude marathon. I def credit her for encouraging me to up my mileage. Now I run 4-5 times a week, do races throughout the year, the running club July-Sept, and am currently training for the St. Jude half.


Running has been such a huge part of my life the last couple of years. It helps relieve stress, keeps your heart and lungs healthy and helps maintain a better figure. Weight Watchers helped me drop the 20+ lbs that needed to be dropped, but running has helped keep them off and tone my legs.

I'm no where near where I want to be, but I've come so much further than I ever imagined. Even D was shocked that I kept this up. After running my first 6 miler a year ago... I think I gained quite the respect from him in my running efforts.

Though I have and continually work my butt off, I realize its not my own glory/strength that pushes me through. I realize I am so unworthy and inadequate but for whatever reason God has chosen to use this sport in my life for more reasons than I'll ever know.

*"All glory to him who alone is God, our Savior through Jesus Christ our Lord. All glory, majesty, power, and authority are his before all time, and in the present, and beyond all time!"
Jude 1:25* 

And that's my running story. The end.

1 comment: