About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Love

I read this verse recently and I haven't been able to get it off my mind. Probably because the Lord knows how much I need to apply this to my life. Probably because what this verse says I don't do naturally... I try but fail MISERABLY. Probably because... well God is God and He has his reasons and I don't have to understand them. Our ministry story being a prime example of that!

The verse is John 13:34-35
 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Several very important truths jump out at me in this verse. The first one being very obvious.

Love one another.

Jesus is talking to his disciples right before his betrayal and crucifixion. These words were not a suggestion but a command. Not love one another if its convenient. Not love only the people who are easy to love. But love one another. PERIOD. This includes the unloveable, annoying, mean, rude people that we come in contact with daily. This includes the family members that are stubborn, the friends that betray us, etc. etc. We are to love.

Not only are we to love but we are to love like Jesus. He said, "As I have loved you, so you must love one another.HELLLLLO. Jesus was perfect. He made no mistakes. How are we suppose to love like Him?

Sacrificially.

We are to put aside our selfishness and pride. We are to put others needs in front of our own. This is not easy stuff, but as a follower of Christ we can not neglect it.

This verse not only tells us to love one another but it tells us that people will know we are followers of Christ if we love. Jesus was telling this to his disciples. These were the men who left everything behind to follow Christ... jobs, families, etc. These men were devoted to the point of death. Most were killed for Christ's sake. They were beheaded, crucified upside down and even burned at the stake. These men showed their devotion for Christ with their lives.

What do our actions reveal about our devotion to Christ?

A good self check would be to ask yourself how you respond in traffic, waiting in long lines at the store, or when your team is losing? Do we show  love in these circumstances? I know love is the last thing on my mind when I get cut off or am in a hurry and stuck in a long line.

This is yet another good reminder of how much we need Jesus. On our own we fail miserably. He alone gives us the ability and desire to love the unlovable. And this is crucial because people will know we are followers of Christ by how we love.

Remember that our actions reveal our devotion to Christ.
Remember our struggle reminds us of our need for Jesus.
Remember to love... period.

                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment