About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Forgiveness

Forgive
1.To excuse for a fault or an offense; pardon.
2. To renounce anger or resentment against.
3. To absolve from payment of (a debt, for example).

I am finishing up Susan Hunt's book, Spiritual Mothering. I'm in the chapter on forgiveness...

One of many things I'm learning about forgiveness is how greatly it affects our lives. Susan says, "many believers are blocked from experiencing the joy of their salvation and from being encouragers to others because of an unforgiving spirit." I'd be willing to be bet there are more of use walking around like this than we'd dare admit.

One lady shared her story about forgiving her abusive father.... "My healing came when I finally understood the price, extent, and power of God's forgiveness. No matter what my daddy did to me, it was not as offensive nor did it cost as much as my sin offended and cost my heavenly father."

Stephen is another great example of forgiveness. As he was being dragged out of the city and stoned to death....he cried out for the Lord to forgive the men.

What?!

I can not even imagine!


"Stephen's ability to forgive was the direct result of his glimpse of the glory of God. His view of his offenders was obliterated by his view of God's glory."

Wonder why you're not growing spiritually when you're doing everything right? "Nothing will strifle spiritual growth and development more than an unforgiving spirit... Forgiveness means releasing- giving up- turning loose, but forgiveness has a positive pay-back; unforgiveness keeps on costing."

I literally got chills when I read this next story. I'm sure many have heard it before. Its when Corrie ten Boom saw the former guard from her concentration camp. The one who mocked them and made life miserable for her, her sister Bessie (who ended up dying there) and others. She was face to face with him after a church service she had just spoken at. He was blown away that Christ could wash his sin away. He reached out his hand to shake hers. She couldn't do it. She couldn't shake his hand and forgive him. As she stood there, she saw his sin. She realized that Christ had died for even his sins. She prayed for God to help her forgive, yet she still couldn't raise her hand to grab his. Again she silently prayed. She said a current passed from her shoulder down her arm and into her hand and then into his. Not only could she shake his hand, but love for the man sprang in her heart. She said, " And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His."

"Forgiveness is more of a lifestyle of grace than a one time act." We are stupid if we think that our hurts can be healed overnight. That's an unreal expectation we've placed on ourselves! It will take time. It will take daily choosing to offer grace... maybe minute by minute depending on the depth of your hurt. So now what do we do with our hurts? We have 2 options...

1. allow them to immobilize us
2. turn them into valuable resources to encourage and equip others to forgive

So... what's your choice?


2 comments:

  1. So true! Unforgiveness paralyzes our spiritual growth. I love what Iva May says, "unforgiveness robs you of your leadership potential."

    ReplyDelete