About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Monday, September 12, 2011

Cotton Pickin' 5k


I wanted to run in a couple of 5k's to make sure I was ready for my graduation 5k which is this Saturday. So this past Saturday my father-in-law and I ran in Somerville's Cotton Pickin' 5k. Prior to that, I ran a 5k for LeBoneur with a friend... we finished in 34 minutes.



I knew 34 minutes was slow so I expected Jason (the trainer) to have some words, but never did I expect.... "You should be running a 5k in 26-28 minutes."... with which I responded, "What?! Have you lost your mind?!"

So Saturday... my goal was to shave a couple of minutes off my normal 34 minutes. I was determined! The horn went off and I began pacing myself faster than before... then I realized this course was filled with hills. What a day to try and improve my time! It was hard, but I kept on pushing. I couldn't read my watch to tell how fast my pace was... I just knew I had to beat 34 minutes. The last mile I was feeling it. Normally the last mile I know is the home stretch so I can push it a little harder... even with the finish line in sight there was no pushing anything... I was worn out! I crossed the finish line and looked over at my time and saw....28... something... I have no idea what it was exactly... I just saw 28 and about fell over. Literally as I crossed the finish line a lady asked my age and I had no idea what she said so I think I responded with "I'm fine, just tired." Ha! Needless to say it was hard work, but apparently it paid off. So not only did I shave a couple of minutes off I shaved 6 minutes off! I couldn't believe it.



As we were driving home, a friend of mine that was also at the race facebooked me and said that I had one first place in my age division. What?! I was shocked. She got my trophy for me. So not only did I shave significant minutes off my time, but I won first place in my age group! That is a miraculous feat seeing how I had just given Jason a hard time about never being able to run a 5k that fast.



I by no means am sharing this to pat myself on the back... well, maybe a little because I didn't think I had it in me! No seriously since I use this blog partially to scrapbook our lives I thought this for sure had to be documented because it may never happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment