About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Friday, September 21, 2012

Running Shoes

Back in July I got these bad boys and I loved them. I loved the color, the way they looked and felt on my feet, but I did not like my sore left achilles after a run. Some days it bothered me more than others but I just thought it was my feet getting use to new shoes.
 
 Well, here we are in September and and I'm still having problems. I run about 20 miles a week so by now my shoes should be broken in. I did some research and found that many people alternate between running shoes. I thought that might be helpful so I thought it was at least worth a try. Before I got some new shoes though, I thought I'd go to fleet feet and have them evaluate me and let me know what kind I needed.

Yes, I know its terribly sad when I've been running for 3 years and have never been to get fitted for running shoes. I thought I knew what I needed but after my achilles problem I knew it was time to consult some people who really knew what they were doing. They measured my foot, watched me run, and then told me something I had never been told before: my ankles turn a little when I run... especially my left foot. We talked about what shoes I was wearing and DING DING DING... there's the problem.

 Brooks Pure Connect are great shoes, but not for me. They are minimalists and offer very little stability and support which is what I (and most people) need for running. Another interesting fact is though they sell a lot of minimalist shoes, they don't recommend them. You are more prone to injury when you wear a lighter less supportive shoe.

Yes, yes I know there has been all kinds of research proving other wise. I'm just stating what the girl there told me and especially after my own experience it makes perfect sense. So shoe shopping we must go!

1 comment:

  1. hey girl... i had the same problem... with my left foot as well. I ended up with an asics shoe. I've worn asics since high school, but I too had to get a more supportive shoe. I have the GT 2170-- (they are cute too- gray with hot pink and lime green).

    Good luck shoe shopping!

    ReplyDelete