About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Try It Tuesday

Texas Sheet Cake... aka my favorite cake of all time! Some ladies at church make this cake from time to time and d and I love it. For pastor appreciation month she made some for us and included the recipe. I was talking to Jules about it and she said, "well, make that for my birthday cake." Sweet, now I had an opportunity to make it! It did not disappoint. It just melts in your mouth... its that good. I assure you its the recipe and not the baker. :) Its so good I thought I'd share.

Texas Sheet Cake



Ingredients:

FOR THE CAKE
  • 2 cups Flour
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
  • 2 sticks Butter
  • 1 cup Boiling Water
  • 1/2 cup Buttermilk
  • 2 whole Beaten Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla


FOR FROSTING:

  • 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Pecans (I made without, but either is fine)
  • 1-3/4 stick Butter
  • 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
  • 6 Tablespoons Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 16 oz. Powdered Sugar


Directions:

Grease an 11x15 pan... jelly roll pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.

In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.
Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.

In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes. (Mine cooked for a/b 23 minutes)

While cake is baking, make the icing. Chop pecans finely. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add the pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.

"Cut into squares, eat, and totally wig out over the fact that you’ve just made the best chocolate sheet cake. Ever." -Pioneer Woman (I realized my recipe is basically the same as hers so this is from her website... proof that this is good stuff!)


P.S. Serve it with homemade vanilla ice cream and you have a heavenly combination. Let's just say I did not stop at one helping!


1 comment: