About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World



I was introduced to this book by my friend Ashley. I added it to my Christmas list and it was one of the many books I received that I couldn't wait to crack open. I began it at the beginning of the week and after reading the first page I knew Ashley hadn't led me astray. This book was written for me.

So far... and I'm only into chapter 2... I've learned that we, like Martha, get caught up in the busyness of life. There is always something to do, someone to help, somewhere to go. Most of the things we're doing are probably great and necessary things. Take Martha for example she opened her home to Jesus and his disciples so we're talking 13+ people in her home. She needs to make sure her guests are comfortable, the house is clean, meals prepared, glasses full... I mean after all Jesus was in her home for crying out loud!

I love hosting things at our house. From youth events to family gatherings... I love having people over. I love having a clean/presentable home, fixing food, thinking through the logistics of where the food should sit and in what bowl/platter should it go in. I love the details behind hosting. I can only imagine how I would feel if Jesus was coming to my home. I am not a perfectionist, but I do like things in order for the most part especially when we have people over... but Martha was hosting Jesus and his crew! Stressed. Frazzled. Overwhelmed. Uh yea I'm pretty sure if the Son of God was coming to my house I'd want everything to be PERFECT... which means I would def. need help.

Enter Mary. Who was suppose to be helping Martha. Martha finds her though not helping, but sitting and listening to Jesus talk.

What?! If it were me I would be ticked. If I had requested Kacie's help for such an occasion and instead of helping she was sitting when there was so much to be done... you better believe I'd have been upset and rightfully so. (I told you this was book was written for me!) Well, Martha was. She went straight to Jesus and complained.

“Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

She had every right to be frustrated. Until Jesus makes everything clear.

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

He wasn't telling Martha the things she was doing were wrong, but that they could wait. They weren't as important. I think we get caught up doing all kinds of things... good things... even church things... but we get so caught up in them that we forget what Jesus has called us to. Not to do many things, but to know Him and make Him known. Jesus isn't reprimanding Martha for working hard, but for getting her priorities mixed up. Jesus simply calls us to an intimate relationship with Him. We must focus on Him. And spend time with Him first. From there we can better serve others.

So many times we let the good things we're doing in our life actually distract us from our walk with Christ. Even when we're doing them supposedly for Him.

So are you like me... a Martha who gets too focused at times on the things? Or are you like Mary... someone who has their priorities in order who's focus is on Jesus ?

No comments:

Post a Comment