About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 14, 2005

October 14, 2005 changed my life.

Me, Julie and some others had been at the Jerkins' setting up for a baby shower most of the afternoon. I remember Julie and Momma D getting frequent phone calls, but thought nothing of it. Then around4 Julie and I ran to the store to get some last minute things. A ploy. When we got back to the house, Julie dropped me off. Weird, I thought. I walked around to the back door and as I opened the door I wondered where everyone else was. By this time it was after 5 so I knew that people should have been home from work and getting ready to go to our usual Friday night family dinner.

After closing the back door, D walks into the kitchen where I was standing, takes my hand, and says, "I need to show you something." I knew he had a big, goofy grin on his face, but that happens when anything exciting happens....he gets a new xbox game, a new gadget of sorts, etc. I just assumed he was going to show me something dumb on the computer. He led me to the front of the house. I looked to my right and there in the den/foyer area is a beautifully decorated table. On the table were 5 dozen roses representing the 5 years that we had been together. At the front of the table was a ring box. This was it. I had waited for so long and it was finally happening! How did I not know it was coming? Where was everyone? Is this a joke? This can't be real. All of these thoughts are coursing through my mind 90 miles a second. He pulls me into the room and says a bunch of sweet stuff that I can't remember and then he got down on one knee. I kept saying to him, "Is this for real?!" "Is this a joke?!" Finally, he looked at me and said, "Does it look like I'm joking?!" Somewhere in all of that craziness I said, Yes. He prayed for us and then he said I have another surprise. He led me through the house to a back bedroom. He opened the door and there was all of our family.

After lots of tears, hugs, explanations, phone calls, a celebratory mexican dinner.... I realized.... It was for real. I was really engaged. Finally engaged. I think I floated all night unable to comprehend exactly what had just taken place.

October 14 you will always be a sweet reminder of God's faithfulness. Our "dating" life had ended.... a new kind of life had just begun. And boy has it been sweet.


4 comments:

  1. aww! thats when i got my first sister! and i kept such a HUGE secret from you that whole day! i was impressed with myself! and you cant forget maggie throwing up everywhere right after we all came in! sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! you're right...her projectile vomit episode. I sure wish you guys would have convinced him to record all of this or at least listen in so you could tell me what all he said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun!! and I guess no one trusted me because I found that morning but it was still exciting! I was very sad though bc I thought I'd be losing my big sister but instead I gained a whole new family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious! We got engaged the first week in Oct. 2002 in Gulf Shores. When Bear asked the question, my first response was, are you sure? Not sure where that came from!
    The Lord is good and faithful!

    ReplyDelete