About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Monday, March 19, 2012

My Man is Home!

For the last 10 days D has been in the Ukraine. I didn't tweet or blog about this because I didn't want to broadcast to the world I was home alone for 10 days. Thank you Sheila for instilling this overcautiousness in me.

He went with 9 others on a basketball mission trip. Ukrainians are normally pretty cold to the gospel but love the game of basketball and they respect Americans. So when 9 American basketball players come in they automatically have respect and a platform. So they played in a big basketball tournament and preached the gospel at half time, at churches, and at the local seminary. They were also able to visit an orphanage and lead basketball clinics.

The team

Unfortunately their trip didn't go quite as they had planned. They knew it was going to be rough over there, but they weren't expecting such dirty play. In one of the first games, the leader of the trip went head to head with another player and got a concussion, another guy bruised his tail bone pretty bad, there were ankles turned, sore legs, and lots of bruises. On top of all that I got a text from D one morning at 4:00a.m. our time saying that he was going to the hospital because they thought he had appendicitis! He had been running a fever for over 48 hours and had a pain in his side, his body ached like he had the flu... so they finally convinced him to go to the hospital. After many tests and 4 bags of fluid and antibiotics later, they concluded he was dehydrated and had a bad infection. The boys went to the hospital a total of 3 times. Boy am I thankful for close medical care... even if it was in the Ukraine!

Dave icing his legs


He was weak but much better the rest of trip. They left on a Thursday and he started getting sick Sunday night. By Wednesday he was better and back to playing and ministering. I was so thankful. I was able to talk to him everyday which I didn't expect. I even got to skype with him most days.. which is what brought on my thankful for technology post a few days ago. It helped getting to see and talk to him when he was sick rather than having to guess how he was.

They had a great trip though despite the injuries and sickness. They were able to build some great relationships and minister to many. The gospel was boldly proclaimed and the kingdom multiplied.

10 days is a really long time though! It was the longest that we've ever been apart. It was def. do-able but I'm sure glad to have him home. God taught me so much while he was gone. It was by no accident that I was suppose to teach on worry that Sunday morning. The Friday before I taught that (the day after he left) I was laying in bed. It was about 11:00pm and I was playing on my phone. I heard a big BOOM and then our power went out. I knew it was most likely a transformer that had blown, but I began to slightly freak out. I had no power and I'm alone! I didn't know where a flashlight was and my phone... my only source to call for help was fixing to die! Then I remembered my message on worry that I was going to teach on in 2 days. Worry is choice. I can choose to sit here and think about all the what ifs. I can let my concern turn into a billion different fear droplets or I could be a big girl and trust that God is taking care of me. I can be thankful for this scary opportunity to live what I'm going to teach. I prayed and went to sleep and guess what... I survived.

Not only did I need 1 lesson on worry, God decide I needed another. I was laying in bed Tuesday morning and at 4:00a.m. I received that text from D. I really began to worry. He is across the world and possibly having surgery! He will be cut open by a Ukrainian in a foreign country! What if he gets an infection?! What if they mess up?! Then I remembered the message that I just taught 2 days before. I have a choice. I can worry about all the what ifs or I can trust that God is taking care of him. I can stop worrying, start praying, and be thankful that God is in control.

Needless to say God did a work in me while D was gone.

I learned many things while he was gone:
-forget diamonds- pedicures are a girls best friend
-location of his stash of flashlights which I remembered he had in fact told me about
-I am thankful for medicine world wide
-massage gift certificates may be one of the best gifts ever
-Thrive- if you haven't heard of it check it out (massages, nails, waxing etc.)
-I can stay at home by myself for numerous nights and be fine
-clean, sweet chick flicks though they may not be true reality- they are good for a woman's soul
-worry is a choice
-I love teaching
- I love technology
-I could never be a military wife- I have the utmost respect for those who are!

So thankfully he's back and well. We've agreed that if another 10 day trip comes along, I'm going with him!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you survived ;) 10 Day trips are long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy stuff always happens when the men are gone! Glad you survived, girl! I keep a 12 gauge shotgun by my bed.. just in case. :)

    ReplyDelete