About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Monday, March 5, 2012

Non Stop Weekend

Our weekend started with Winter Jam. Our students enjoy the concerts and $10 is not a bad price. I wasn't that impressed this year. There were more groups/people I hadn't heard of... new comers. Some were good, but Skillet def stole the show. Of course they were the last band to perform. I have never been a skillet fan. I'm not in to hard rockish types of music, but they put on a great concert. They seemed to have taken on a goth like look for themselves which is another reason I have never really been a fan. D and I were talking though about why they look that way and why they choose to sing that type of music. He explained that they're trying to reach more of the Marilyn Manson crowd. Though it's not my taste or the look I'd prefer, you have to respect them for trying to reach a certain group for Christ. This being a group that would prob normally have nothing to do with christian music if it weren't for Skillet. They are a unique group in the christian music scene... no one else is really like them. So... whether I agree with their sound or look, they are pointing people to Jesus with their music and testimonies so for that I will support them.

Once we finally got home and in bed it was 1:30a.m. Poor D had basketball practice at 6:00a.m. Saturday morning. He's going on a basketball mission trip to Ukraine soon. They have very extreme practice times to better accommodate everyone. He was back home and showered and we were out the door by 7:45am to get ready for Upwards basketball.

It was our church's day to host the basketball games again. Everything went very smoothly until the last game of the day. One of our ref's (who happens to be one of our very best friends, Peter) had to ask someone to leave which led to men yelling and D got to be the enforcer. It was awesome. Sad, that this happens at church, recreational, girl basketball games, but... entertaining for sure. This was the last game and happened right before half time. We're talking buzzer going off, people yelling... and now its my turn to give the devo. I just looked at D and said, "You got this."

We both gave different devos, but the same underlining message: the gospel. So as D led this final devo, he was sure to add, "In light of eternity does this church league, kids basketball game really matter?" Boom roasted. And not just those who lost their cool during the game... I mean thats what he was referring to, but really that includes all of us that have ever lost our temper over dumb things... yep, thats us... roasted.

The game ended. Everything was fine. Then it was time to clean up and reset for the awards celebration that would take place 30 or so minutes later. We had the concession stand cleaned up from the games and set up with pizza, drinks, and cookies. One of d's buddies who is going to the Ukraine with them came and spoke. It was a great night of awards, food, and the gospel.

Before we knew it, it was 7:20p.m. and we were headed home. Even though it was a loooooong day, we were thankful overall for a fun, successful day. We were both sound alseep before 9:30.

Then the alarm was going off... time for church. Great morning with our students, lunch out with a student, a brief nap, and then a quick look over discipleship class material. D is teaching a class on evangelism and I'm teaching Girls Gone Wise. This week we focused on the first 2 points of contrast: the heart and counsel. It was so good. I'll share more about it another day.

This weekend though crammed with stuff was a great one. I am so thankful for the opportunities that God has given us. We are so undeserving. I am most thankful though that I get to walk through life with this guy. Through the crazy, busy weekends or slow mundane weeks... I'm grateful he chose to share it all with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment