About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Monday, September 20, 2010

Race Day

After my failure Thursday night of running the course....which I felt terrible about.... I was quite hesitant about the race if you couldn't tell by my post from Friday. After talking with my race consultant...one of our college guys who is a marathon runner... I knew what I needed to do to complete the race.

My alarm went off at 6:40. I had laid everything out the night before so I was well prepared. I was out the door by 7:10. Feeling more optimistic about the day, I began to really get excited. I pulled into the Oak Court Mall parking lot at 7:30. Met up with my friends and checked in by 7:40. It was almost time.



It was the perfect morning for a race. The weather was awesome. The air was crisp and cool. So I now at least had that on my side! As for the mp3 player that I had been holding....rather than use my velcro arm band , I stuck it down in my bra. Genius idea. Not only did it hold my mp3 player in place, but it kept my ear bud strings from flopping around.

Mp3 player on and in place. Check.

Waited in line for one of the many port-a-potties. Check.

Shoe laces tightened and tied. Check.

On the starting line. Check.

And the siren goes off..... Go time.

Because there were so many ladies running, (I think they said 1200) the starting pace was very slow. Annoying at first, but man did it pay off!

Mile 1. Piece of cake.
Mile 2. Downed my water. Trucking it along.
Mile3. Almost there.

As we rounded the last corner with 1/2 a mile to go....the finish line in sight... adrenaline really kicked in. With each step, we ran faster. Before we knew it, there were crowds of people cheering us on...our running time visible.

33:59.55
33:59.56
33:59.57
33:59.58
33:59.59

I pushed past people in line hoping to get there before it hit 34:00.

It turned. Poop. 34:00.02

But I finished. And not only that, but I felt I could have run another mile. I was disappointed with my time, but grateful to have made it... especially after Thursdays attempt.


Us with our "FINISHER" medals.



Crossing that finish line brings a rush like nothing else. Such accomplishment. So rewarding. You better believe I now have 2 more races on the calendar.

Race for the Cure
October 30th




and


True Blue 5k
November 5th




I was talking with D the other day and he pointed out how against running I was. I remember specifically writing on this blog, "Some people are runners. I am not." Now, I am not hard core yet but I am really enjoying the benefits of running. I have lost 11 pounds, my clothes fit better, my stress level is down, and I feel great. So for those of you who "are not runners" you need to give it a chance. I started with the "Couch Potato to 5k" plan. Trust me. If I can do it then anyone can!



9 comments:

  1. Finishing a 5K in this heat is an accomplishment!! And 11 pounds... you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! The time is awesome! I have a half marathon I'm doing in november -after that I plan on sticking with 5k's and working my way up to running an entire thing...an impossibility for me right now. So I'm SUPER impressed with your time! Go Candace!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the couch to 5k, with the Iphone ap, and had the same success you did. I actually look forward to my 3 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Its hard work at first, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You continue to make me proud! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Candace! Before you know it you'll be signing up for a half-marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh macy...I don't know about that! The idea of running for a couple of hours doesn't sound appealing right now, but never say never, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never say never! Congrats. Good job!

    ReplyDelete