About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Saturday, October 17, 2009

I'm a girl... I'll admit it

Last night we took our youth camping. A few months ago when planning our October youth activities, we decided that D would go camping with the guys and I would bring the girls to our house to spend the night. After announcing the plans, our girls voiced that they desperately wanted to camp. After much discussion, we decided to make our guy/girl night an everybody camping trip.

We met at 6:00 at the church, loaded up and headed to Chickasaw. D and some of our male leaders had gone earlier in the day to set up our campsite. We arrived a few minutes after dark, chose our tents, and made a fire. (of course I had nothing to do with the making of the fire, but you better believe I enjoyed it!) We explored, played games, ate some smores, heard an excellent devotion about having true joy, and enjoyed great company!

Although, we did have a great time, I was reminded of how much of a girl I am. Let me back up and explain that this realization first occurred as we packed for the night. I told D what I was packing and he said, "And that's why you don't take girls camping..." (I heard this several times throughout the packing...)As we played flash light tag, I discovered that I avoided areas that would get my cute leopard boots muddy. I enjoyed the fire, but didn't like how it made me stink of smoke. I loved eating smores, but I hated how I had sticky marshmellow residue on my fingers after the goodness was gone. Our "heated" bathroom was not in fact heated and that annoyed me. We had only one working toilet and it was freeeeeeeeeeeeeezing, my sleeping mat that my sweet hubs bought me just wasn't as fluffy as I had hoped. Oh how I longed for my wonderful bed and fancy electric blanket! (and my hubs to snuggle with of course!)

The idea of camping is so glamorous... especially when your husband claims to be Bear Grylls, but the actual camping thing... not so much. It was cold, we stunk, we were tired, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything! It was a sweet time as a student ministry to come together in an unusual way. We got to fellowship with one another, eat some good snacks, hear a good devotion, huddle together in the cold, help each other in our silly games, and make memories to last a lifetime!

If I've never mentioned before, we love our students! God has truly blessed us to have the opportunity to work with such a great group of students and leaders. Even in the cold, these guys and girls are keepers!

So I may be a girl, but I am a very blessed one!



(Here are some of our students braving the elements.....More pictures to come!)

1 comment: