About Me

My photo
Sinner saved by grace. Wife to a cute preacher. Momma to 2 precious baby boys. Blessed beyond measure. And I deserve none of it.

Blog Archive

Friday, February 19, 2010

House Work Overload


Living in an apartment for 3 years spoils you! I could clean my whole apartment making every inch shine in an hour easily. Well, after moving into a house with almost double the square footage, cleaning has not been so easy. Don't get me wrong, our house is always neat. (I live with Mr. Clean!) but it isn't always sanitizingly (I think I just made that word up) clean.

Let me start from the beginning....

Growing up I never had a clean room... well, I would every once in awhile get on a cleaning kick and clean my room or closet, but eventually it was back to being pretty messy. After getting married and having a place of our own, I knew I wanted everything to be neat and clean all the time. It doesn't hurt that my husband is more organized than me and actually picks up after himself (and after me sometimes.) Again cleaning a 2 bedroom apartment was a piece of cake. After cleaning our house a couple of times I realized that my days of cleaning in an hour were over... which led to larger spans of time between cleanings. It was overwhelming to clean the house all at once especially working full time (now I know why people hire maids!)... needless to say... it wasn't working.

After reading my friend Jessica's blog, I had a duh! moment. She has a daily cleaning schedule. Now, some you of you may already do this and all I have to say to you is, "Why in the world haven't we talked about it?!!!!!" So... I created my own daily cleaning schedule. Rather than being overwhelmed over everything that needs to be cleaned, I have a particular chore or chores each day. These chores actually get completed better than they did before because I can focus on that one task and not on everything that has to get done.

So for those of you who are curious, here is my Daily Chore List:

Monday-Vacuum
Tuesday-Dust, Laundry- towels
Wednesday-Kitchen
Thursday-Bathrooms
Friday-Laundry
Saturday-Laundry complete (if needed)
Sunday- Grocery

These chores are specifically placed on these days based on our crazy schedule. For example, on Sunday nights after church we always go into Oakland for dinner with our youth and youth leaders. Many times we end up eating at Subway that is located in their nice, new Wal-mart which makes grocery shopping very convenient. :)

Some chores just need to be done more often (dishwasher run and emptied, bathroom and kitchen counters wiped down, etc.) so I adapt as needed. I know this is so simple you're thinking, Candace, you're a retard.... and maybe that's true, but I am thrilled with my chore list and I love how easy house work is now!

2 comments:

  1. I have tried to get into a day by day sort of thing, but it actually stressed me out more than if I just do things as needed. Sometimes I end up doing things a whole lot and very often. . .especially when it comes to bathroom, laundry, and the kitchen. But I find I breathe more easily when things are clean, even though some messiness a few days in a row doesn't make me go nuts. I'm working on a getting organized with meal planning though. And that means getting more organized with the grocery shopping, too. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... I breathe easier when things are clean and organized... it's just a matter of getting there. My next goal will be getting organized with meal planning so let me know what you find that works!

    ReplyDelete